Did you, as of late, rest on silk for the very first time and figure out that it was the most suitable fabric for you? Perhaps you bought silk sheets previously and cherished them, yet fail to find new ones that are as pleasant? Whether you are a hardcore fan of dozing on silk or a first-time purchaser, this complete guide is for you!
Why Should You Buy Silk Bedding Over Other Fabrics?
People ask this question now and again. They have heard that silks sheets are excellent, maybe from their grandma or mom, and they are eager to try silk. So, for what reason is silk regarded as the most luxurious bedding fabric?
- Silk is noticeably smooth and feels incredible on the skin.
- Silk is known as a naturally hypoallergenic fabric and resistant to numerous different allergens such as mold, fungus, and dust.
- Silk is extraordinary for all climates, say – hot summers and cold winter evenings. Thanks to it, you will be able to rest well.
- Silk is the most durable natural fabric.
- Silk is beneficial to your hair and skin. In case you do not know, it is useful for retaining moisture and decreasing harm brought about by higher friction fabrics.
Selecting to purchase silk is the same as deciding to purchase Amish furniture – it is a whole lot more durable when compared to all else you could buy. If you become weary of purchasing new sheets each season, it is about time to get yourself silk. Silk lasts longer than any other natural fabrics, as well as having the longevity comparable to polyester. In contrast to polyester, silk brings a fantastic feeling and is excellent for you. No wonder, it has been the best fabric.
But be that as it may, be mindful so as not to purchase low-quality silk. You will learn in the following part, the silk sheet’s quality plays the same massive role as the thread count with your cotton sheets.
You might also like: Best Silk Comforters
Types of Silk
As you are in the market for silk, you should, to begin with, inform yourself with the assortments of silk out there today and how it can be measured for quality. Generally speaking, it is useful to know the kinds of silk below:
- Charmeuse Silk is the most popular sort of silk. You can utilize it in everything, for example – shirts, dresses, and bedding. This type is feather-light and naturally elastic, thus making it the perfect fabric for use in your pillowcases, sheets, and other different sorts of bedding. You may love the satin sheen from the fabric’s front. Meanwhile, the finish of the back is dull. Charmeuse is famous as cultivated silk, which implies that people farm the silkworms producing it for silk.
- Mulberry Silk is the top quality of silk, as well as the most favorite for bedding. A lot of mulberry silk is indeed charmeuse silk cultivated from an exceptional kind of silkworm, which is taken care of with a stringent diet. In case you missed it, it is the Bombyx mori that produces mulberry silk, and this silkworm likes to eat the mulberry tree’s leaves. Farmers have bred this specific kind of silkworm in captivity for more than 5,000 years! Impressive enough? The strict diet of mulberry leaves and the careful breeding for the superior level of comfort are what make mulberry silk as the premium end product and the absolute best silk in the market these days.
- Tussah Silk is indeed silk produced using wild silkworms that have not been bred. Since the worms are not taken care of under a rigid eating routine or protected similarly to the way cultivated silkworms are, this kind of silk is not as long-lasting or soft as the cultivated ones. Plenty of wild silk originates from India and not China.
- Habotai Silk is another extraordinary silk that people commonly utilize for making bedding and sheets. While Habotai is more affordable, it cannot outlast charmeuse. More often than not, this sort of silk is “washed” using sand so that it will be able to deliver the soft feeling like charmeuse. With that being said, this washing procedure destroys the silk fibers, implying that it fails to be as durable.
- Duppoini Silk is considered greatly lustrous and durable yet coarse and not perfect for some bedding and sheets. At times, you can make use of it in duvets, but, owing to its quality, this type cannot work as well for temperature maintenance. The reduced quality is because people produce this silk using irregular covers that are not of a similar condition that you would discover in charmeuse silk.
Since you realize that mulberry silk is the absolute best silk, you should likewise learn somewhat about something referred to as “Momme Weight.” It is pronounced “mummy” and is essentially a measurement of the silk weight. The Japanese developed this estimation, and people also leverage it to gauge things such as pearls.
You have to measure a fabric piece that is 45 inches in width and 100 yards in length to measure the momme weight. On the off chance that this piece gauges 12 lbs, the fabric’s momme weight is 12. Clearly, you cannot do something like this for yourself while out shopping; that is why make sure to check labels for the listing of the manufacturer.
That is not all; the kind of silk is also useful for deciding the silk’s momme weight. For example, habotai silk generally has a momme weight of 5-15. For charmeuse silk, the weight is somewhere in the range of 12 to 30.
Ideally, you need to search for a momme weight of more prominent than 14 for bedding.
Winter vs. Summer Silk Bedding.
Believe it or not, silk is genuinely ideal for all seasons! You will not need to switch out your silk sheets and pillowcases from winter to summer. In case you get especially cold or sweltering nights, we suggest you buy another silk duvet for winter and summer. You can likewise opt for a silk blanket for winter, for some additional warmth.
For what reason does silk have great flexibility? Because silk does not bundle up, it should be able to give your whole body even warmth. That is why your feet will get enough insulation like your upper body. Also, it is easier for your own body to regulate temperature.
Have you ever woken up amid night sweating a lot from your bedding’s heat? Understandably, just about any synthetic fiber and other conventional materials for bedding – for instance, down, trap air. Throughout the night, the warmth of your body gradually accumulates until it gets insufferable. What is more, your sweat becomes trapped inside the bedding and will not be able to dissipate. Thus, your sheets get eventually sickeningly wet, which makes it hard for you to fall back to sleep. This may be a particular concern among ladies who are experiencing menopause. Their body cycles to cool from hot again, so the run-of-the-mill cotton sheets cannot oblige the adjustments in heat. They end up waking up constantly from uneasiness.
The incredible silk structure at a microscopic level enables a little yet useful quantity of air to naturally assist your body in controlling its temperature. When you overheat, the body will sweat, and the breathable nature of silk lets that moisture get away, hence cooling your body. People call it the wicking effect. Once you cool off, there will be reduced moisture produced, and silk will enable your body to maintain the natural heat it generates. Further, silk can deliver an even amount of cooling all over the night, meaning that your body will not have to readjust continually. While you could purchase costly synthetic bedding with a similar effect provided, we do not recommend it. Wonder why? You are just bringing more chemicals into your living condition, and silk is a 100% natural fabric that gives the equivalent wicking impact.
Choosing a Silk Duvet
When it comes to selecting a silk duvet, first and foremost, think about the season you will be utilizing it for. As we addressed above, having an alternate duvet for summer and winter is advisable. Thicker silk duvets are perfect for cold days since they trap a more considerable amount of the natural heat of your body. Meanwhile, thinner models are fantastic when it is hot. As you know, they enable enhanced air to cool the body.
As you look for silk duvets, be sure you take a gander at the tog to define how cool or warm the duvet is. By the tog, we refer to the rating of how insulating a specific duvet or other sorts of fabric are.
The perfect summer duvet is often somewhere between two and four tog and has no extra fabric included to it. It is significant to ensure that this product is pure silk in case you desire to remain cool throughout the entire summer.
Some people likewise prefer to leverage a fall and spring duvet. These tend to have a tog of about eight to eleven. For those who are living in a more moderate climate, you may choose to utilize this sort of duvet as well for most time of the year. That is not all; a spring or fall duvet can be useful in case you want to set aside cash and just need to buy a single duvet.
When it comes to winter, you will need numerous layers of silk to maintain the warmth of your body. We suggest twelve togs or more. For particularly cool climates, you should account for a silk duvet covered with cotton.
Choosing Your Bedding Colors
At last! We reached the fun part of looking for silk bedding. Picking a color blend that works for your decor and you is crucial. The hues you select will not just upgrade your mood but assist you with falling asleep more quickly.
- Blue – is a lovely shading, yet did you realize that there are more and more proofs for their impact on sleep? As per a study, people dozing in a blue room had the most rest. As you think of this color, the high chance is that thoughts of calm and peace come to your mind. Blue is indeed naturally calming, and on the off chance that you are not utilizing blue in your sleeping space, account for purchasing blue bedding or a duvet of this color to create an impact on your rest truly.While blue is the best shading for your bedroom, what is the most terrible? You may say, without a second thought, that yellow or red would have the contrary impact. With that being said, grey, brown, and purple were considered the most noticeably terrible! If you can, stay away from these hues for the bedding, wall paint, etc.
In case you are planning to improve your love life, hues such as orange, yellow, and gold have been proven to boost libido. According to research, red decor failed to prompt romance in the bedroom.
- Green and orange – Do you need an incredible night’s rest, yet are you not sure if blue is a suitable shading for you? Then, orange and green decor bring a positive impact as well. Create a smooth mix and match between these hues for a peaceful and reviving night’s rest!
Buying Silk Bedding for the Guest Bedroom
In case you need to upgrade the stay of the guests and impress them as well, go ahead with silk bedding. It is a genuine treat for people who have never dozed in silk. What is more, with the entirety of silk’s sleep and wellbeing perks, it will help minimize crankiness from any jet lag.
The perfect guest room had better look exquisite, which is the reason we suggest buying luxurious silk bedding sets. The sets should include a flat sheet, duvet, silk sleeping pad covers, and oxford and housewife pillowcases. The remarkable design will better any room and lead to their amazingly elegant appearance!
If you genuinely wish to make the stay of your visitor memorable, buy a silk eye mask for them to bring home with them. These eye care products are perfect for helping your visitors fall asleep more quickly and are a well-priced thank-you present for their stay.
Not all, you may want to buy a silk throw or blanket for them. The units are soft, warm, and ideal for the visitor who is not sure about how little or much coverage they need around night time.
Care Your Silk Bedding
Since you have been resting in silk, you may be wondering about the frequency you should clean your sheets. Also, can you wash them? Do they need dry cleaning?
The fantastic thing about top-grade silk is that it is naturally capable of repelling oils, dust, dirt, and other grime that the bedding will build up. That is why you can wash this type of bedding less regularly as compared to conventional cotton or artificial fibers.
Often, silk can be machine washed. There will be a little-to-zero problem with air drying it. Still, you ought to check the particular instructions for your chosen model. When all is said and done, we suggest the following:
Fundamental rules for washing your silk:
- Never use bleaching agents and bleach! These will harm the fibers and decrease the silk’s longevity.
- Never machine dry! The tumbling movement and high heat can do no good to the fibers.
- DO hand or machine wash your silk using cold water.
- DO air dry the silk.
- DO iron the silk on the cool setting on the fabric’s inside – with care.
In A Nutshell
We always love to share what is now working for many customers out there, and we hope our practical guide helps you purchase the best fit for your needs and wants.
Know anyone who may benefit from this post? Do not hesitate to share it with them on Twitter, Facebook, and any other social platforms!